Type to search

Inspiration Planning 101

Getting A Marriage License in the Caribbean – What You Need to Know

Married Couple

Saying “I Do” gets you halfway there; here’s what you need to make your marriage legal.

For most couples, wedding planning is very stressful in the days leading up to the your event. It is important not to forget this little tidbit, amidst the craziness. (If you still need help getting organized, use one of the many checklists in The Bridal Binder here.) In order to make your marriage legal in the country you plan to get married in, you must first obtain a marriage license. Typically, the marriage license is issued by a church or governmental authority, and is only valid for a specific duration. Getting a marriage license in the Caribbean is usually a hassle free process, but it is important to note that every country has its own requirements. Most countries require the following (at a minimum), in addition to the couple being present:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Photo Identification
  • Proof of Residency
  • Parental consent (if less than 18 years of age)

For your reference, we’ve compiled the requirements of the most popular Caribbean destinations. Happy planning!

  1. Couples marry under the authority of a special license that takes approximately two working days to process. If one partner resides in Anguilla for at least fifteen days prior to the date of marriage, the cost of the license is US $40. If the stay is shorter, then the cost of the license is $284 (representing stamp duty).
  2. Couples must proof of citizenship of their resident country: a valid passport or an original birth certificate accompanied by photo identification such as a driver’s license.
  3. If you plan to marry in Anguilla, contact the Minister and then the Magistrate.
  4. Two witnesses are required.
  1. Civil or Legal marriages are possible in Aruba following the submission of required paperwork and payments of a nominal fee. All Civil marriages must take place in the historic City Hall located in downtown Oranjestad. All civil ceremonies are held at the City Hall (“Civil Town House”) on Monday, Tuesday,Thursday and Friday from 10:00am till 11:30am and from 2:00pm till 3:30pm; Wednesdays from 10:00am till 11:30am. From 11:00am till 1:00pm.
  2. Required documentation, for both the bride and groom, includes birth certificates, passport biodata page, Certificate of No Impediment, The Aruba Declaration of Marriage Intent Form of Bride and Groom (application form provided by your wedding planner, The Aruba Declaration Single Status Form of Bride and Groom and a copy of the passport picture page. Documents should be sent at least one (1) month prior to the desired wedding date.
  3. Two witnesses, over 18, with copies of their passport data pages.
  4. If previously married, a final divorce decree is required.
The Bahamas
  1. Couples must be present in the Bahamas to apply for Marriage License. The fee is $120 and includes a certified copy of the marriage certificate. Vow renewals do not require a marriage license.
  2. Couples must produce a valid passport, birth certificate, and photo ID. The parties must also produce evidence of the date of their arrival in The Bahamas.If you arrive via cruise ship, you’ll be required to obtain a letter from the Ship’s Purser/Guest Services confirming that you have met the residency period by being in Bahamian waters for 24 hours.
  3. Couples may apply a day after their arrival and can be married once they receive their approved license the day after application.
  4. Two witnesses, who are at least 18 years old, must sign your marriage license.
Cayman Islands
  1. Application for non-resident marriage license. Cost of the application is $250.
  2. Proof of citizenship and age, evidenced by a valid passport or an original/certiifed copy of birth certificate with photo ID.
  3. Proof of marital status, with legal divorce decree or death certificate (if applicable)
  4. Cayman Islands Immigration Department card or International embarkation/disembarkation card for cruise ship passengers.
  5. A minimum of two witnesses at the ceremony.
  1. Visitors can be married 24 hours after arriving in Jamaica, providing prior application has been made for a marriage license to the Ministry of Justice. The application must be submitted to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Justice. The processing fee for the Marriage License is Four Thousand Jamaican Dollars (approximately US$50.00). The marriage license is valid for 3 months.
  2. Proof of citizenship is required, i.e. a certified copy of a birth certificate, which includes father’s name.
  3. Parental written consent, if under 18 years of age.
  4. Proof of divorce, if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
  5. Certified copy of death certificate, if applicable, for widow or widower.
Puerto Rico
  1. Medical certificate, in compliance with tests to be married in your place of residence.
  2. Non-residents must submit an affidavit or sworn statement that the sole purpose of their visit is to get married. Non-U.S. citizens must include in this affidavit that they will not be staying in Puerto Rico longer than established in the visa or federal entrance permit to US territory
  3. Valid photo identification, such as passport or driver’s license
  4. Original copies of birth certificates for couple
  5. If previously married, original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate (if applicable)
Trinidad and Tobago
  1. Couples wanting to get married must first give Notice of Marriage in person at a Civil Registry office.  This includes religious marriages. At least seven days must have elapsed from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place. Notice is valid for one year.
  2. The following documentation is required: Permission to marry from Immigration Control (for non-Trinbagonian nationals only), valid photo identification and proof of address.
  3. If previously married, original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate (if applicable)
  4. The cost for a marriage license is TT$62.50.  You must also pay an additional TT$25.00 to obtain a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate.  (This is subject to change.)
Turks and Caicos
  1. Photo identification/Passport
  2. Birth certificate
  3. From a certificate of no-impediment the registry, country/state where you reside.
  4. Affidavit of single status or divorce decree (if applicable)
  5. Death certificate (if widow or widower) and, copy of marriage certificate verifying the marriage between the deceased spouse and declarant.
  6. Copy of legal status (work permit or immigration status)
  7. Two (2) declaration forms
  8. Application form for special license. There is a $250.00 application fee.
  9. Copy of TCI immigration arrival and departure stamp. Visitors or tourist must be in the Turks and Caicos 48hours before submitting application.
  10. Parental consent, if under the age of 21 years.
  11. All copies of documents must be notarized and sealed.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *